So reports NBC, with confirmation that the United States has the body. Drudge says the same thing in its headline, though with no link to any story. But I am assuming that it is true. A few thoughts:
1. This is a big deal in that the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks has finally been killed. No one who despises the barbarism exemplified by bin Laden and al Qaeda can help but be delighted.
2. I won’t be in the least bit surprised to see the stock market skyrocket as a consequence.
3. Killing bin Laden will not bring the War on Terror to an end, since we are fighting terrorist organizations, instead of playing a game of global chess that comes to an end when the king is checkmated.
4. The very same people who have screamed up and down since 1989 that Ronald Reagan did not win the Cold War all by himself will now claim that Barack Obama alone is responsible for the death of bin Laden, despite the fact that drone strikes have been going on since the Bush Administration, and despite the fact that many of the people prepared to give President Obama all of the credit under the sun have been agitating for us to reduce or eliminate our military presence in places like Afghanistan and Pakistan–the very military presence that helped lead to bin Laden’s death. They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this kind of disingenuous rhetoric.
5. The above having been written, I am more than happy to give the Obama Administration–and the Bush Administration before it–plenty of credit for having designed and implemented the military operations that brought about bin Laden’s demise. Here’s hoping that he didn’t die quickly after the mortal blow landed; I’d rather that bin Laden suffered for quite a while before finally going to meet Satan in Jahanam. This is a good day for our country, and for all those who oppose the depraved policies and philosophy that al Qaeda and bin Laden have sought to spread by the most despicable means possible.