1. Having “the talk” with your child:
2. I want my fourth generation Internet.
3. A severe land shortage in China is leading to an increased use of sea burials. The problem is, however, that this runs against traditional Chinese mores, making plenty of Chinese very uncomfortable.
5. Also via 3 Quarks Daily, we have this. Anything that tells me from the outset that it is going to discuss “Happy Days,” “Hegelian Narratives of Transcendence,” and “Princess Grace of Monaco” all in the same piece has my attention. Relatedly, somewhere, Alan Sokal stands up, and does a slow clap, chin quivering, with tears streaming down his face.
6. Delayed Thanksgiving Link No. 1: An oldie, but a goodie.
7. Delayed Thanksgiving Link No. 2: Inside the Obama Administration’s pardon process:
8. It’s a chess match between humankind and an alien civilization. Win, and we survive. Lose, and its curtains for the human race. How do we optimize our chances for victory? Tyler Cowen has some thoughts. But who should be the single human agenda-setter? I’d vote for Anand myself, but if Kasparov were playing regularly, he would likely be a shoo-in.